Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Meet Jamie

This post is written by our latest edition to the Fidelis team.  Jamie has joined us for the Fall semester and brings a lot of knowledge about fundraising.  We are looking forward to teaching him about equine assisted learning and learning some tricks of the trade about fundraising from him!  Jamie will be blogging weekly about his experiences, so here is a quick post so you all get to know him!

Hello,
Jamie Relays for his Mom.
He is excited to work with Fidelis for the kids!
My name is Jamie O’Connell and I am a senior at Coastal Carolina University. I was born in upstate New York and grew up in Wilmington North Carolina. I am currently a senior at Coastal and will be graduating in December of 2014. I spent a lot of time around horses during my summer vacations in New York and was a counselor at a summer horse camp at my home barn. 
In my four years at coastal I have been heavily involved in Coastal’s Relay For Life event which has raised a little over $460,000. My first three years I was a sub chair working with both logistics and fundraising, my last year I was the co-chair for the entire Relay For Life. Relay has always been my biggest focus during my time at Coastal and helped lead me into my major of Health Promotion. 
In my first semester at Coastal Carolina I changed my degree to Health Promotion because after being a sub chair for Relay For Life I knew that I wanted to go into the nonprofit field with a specialization of cancer related opportunities.  In my field I have been able to intern at different places such as the American Cancer Society and Fidelis. 

This semester I decided to change it up and pick a field that is not normally associated with cancer related institutes. I am excited to be able to work with children of different ages and get back to spending more times around horses. With my graduation coming up very soon I am looking forward to working with Fidelis for my senior level internship and getting to know everyone that is involved! 
-Jamie



No comments:

Post a Comment